Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Our Horror Unfounded?


Dear Friend, please do not take this post too seriously. Remember and believe that I will never leave the Island, never forget the way, and never become as ordinary as Jenkins minor. However, I think the terror to which we cling bears questioning. Consider the moment in Finding Neverland when George grows up. He worries about his mother in a very mature sort of way and J.M. Barrie says, "Magnificent. The boy is gone. Somewhere in the last thirty seconds, you've become a grown-up." He tells George that he should be the one to talk to his mother about her illness. George says, "But I don't what to say" and J.M. Barrie replies, "You'll do fine. You'll do just fine."

I live four hours away from the nearest grown-up who cares about me. And I'm doing fine. I'm doing just fine. Sometimes I am afraid and often am I lonely. But some days I walk around and think, "Gosh, this is sort of easy," and have to think real hard to remember what it was that I was afraid of. Be brave, friend. Bedford Falls is an imaginary place. Neverland is not. But neither of them can take us away unless we go there on purpose. You'll do fine, I promise.

Let's make a new place, a new way to be. Let's be betwixt-betweens, like Peter. We'll think like grown-ups and laugh like children. How about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment